YOUR BOOK-STACK, on the counter . . .
Planudes, Maximus, comp. [First five lines in Greek transliterated as] Anthologia diaphoron epigrammaton, archaiois suntetheimenon sophois, epi diaphorois hypothesesin, eis hepta tmemata dieremene. [then in Latin] Florilegium diversorum epigrammatum in septem libros distinctum, diligenti castigatione emendatum. Cui nonnulla nuper inventa in fine adiecta sunt, una cum indice tam rerum, guam auctorum copiosissimo. Venetiis: Apud Aldi filios, 1550–51. Small 8vo (16.5 cm, 6.5"). 288,  ff. $4,500.00
Third Aldine edition of the Greek anthology originally compiled by Maximus Planudes (ca. 1260 – ca. 1305) and edited by Andreas Joannes Lascaris (1445–1534). Hutton believes that this edition and that published by Nicolini in 1550 are virtually identical. He also notes that the ten leaves immediately after fol. 288 (and before the blank leaf preceding the final leaf with the printer's device) are printed in => Paolo Aldus's new Greek type, which is larger than the type of the main text.
“The Greek anthology,” as it is commonly known among Hellenists, contains poems, mostly in form of epigrams, spanning the Classical and Byzantine eras of Greek literature. It had its origins in the collection of epigrams that Constantine Cephalas compiled around 900, which in turn used compilations made by Meleager of Gadara (first century B.C.), Philip of Thessalonica (ca. A.D. 50), and Agathias of Myrina (A.D. 567/568). Those three sources are now lost. Next in the chain is the Palatine Anthology, the work of an unknown scholar, which expanded the number of epigrams to about 3700. Offered here is the “Plaundian” anthology that Byzantine monk Maximus Planudes produced ca. 1301: It is a reduced version of the Palatine Anthology, but does add some epigrams not included by the Palatine version. The Planudean Anthology was => the Greek anthology of the Renaissance and it exerted a huge influence.
While the title-page gives the publication date as 1550, the colophon is dated 1551.
Binding: Brown pigskin, top and bottom of round spine with a gilt hash design repeated on raised bands; compartments defined by gilt double-fillets and with a gilt center device of a flower. Covers framed with triple gilt fillets, each corner with a small blossom; board edges with gilt triangle-and-dot roll; turn-ins tooled in gilt using two different rolls separated by a single gilt fillet. Marbled endpapers of a French combed pattern and all edges gilt. A 19th-century hand has written in pencil on the verso of the front free endpaper: "Pigskin by Desseuil."
Provenance: The Rev. H. Drury's copy: "Coll. per H. Drury Harroviae" at the top of front fly-leaf (and with five lines of his neat, small hand-written notes below that); his books were sold in 1841. English bookseller's catalogue entry pasted to verso of front free endpaper. 20th-century collation note by Quaritch on recto of rear free endpaper. Most recently in the library of American collector Albert A. Howard, small booklabel ("AHA") at rear.
Adams A1185; Renouard 148:7; UCLA, Aldine Press: Catalogue of the Ahmanson-Murphy Collection (2001), 401; Edit 16 CNCE 1974 and CNCE 1975. Not in Kallendorf & Wells, Aldine Press Books. Binding as above. Very good, indeed excellent condition. => A true collector's copy. (37864) Please RESHELVE This.
RE-VIEW LAST DATABASE SEARCH RESULTS
BROWSE/SEARCH MORE SHELVES! | PLACE THAT ORDER!